General Information

General Shipping Information

Importing your car to Australia can seem a daunting task, but not if McCullough does it for you.

Get your free shipping quote now.

We Want to Know All About You!

1. If you are a private individual

If you answered 'yes',simply fill in this Form, email or phone us on 09 303 0075

2. Personal Motor Vehicle Import

You may be wondering whether you will have to pay Customs charges on your vehicle, considering that it is privately owned.

You may indeed be eligible for an exemption In certain cases. For example, if your vehicle has been in your possession and in use for 12 months and you have been out of New Zealand for over 21 months, your car may qualify for zero GST.

To be exempt from GST, the requirements are as follows:

New Zealand Customs Service is not at liberty to adapt these conditions, which must be met strictly and fully.

If they cannot be met, the vehicle concerned is considered a non-concessionary import for which Customs charges must be paid

Valid documents proving your right of residence are:

Concession Reference 80 Undertaking

A Concession Reference 80 Undertaking is a written undertaking establishing that if goods, and in your case, your vehicle, is sold or disposed of within 24 months of it being imported to New Zealand, you will pay either:

Period of Ownership and Actual Use

To qualify for concessionary entry, you must have been using your vehicle for a minimum of 1 year before you left for New Zealand and it mustn’t have been shipped to New Zealand any earlier than a year from when it was delivered to you.

For example, a vehicle purchased and delivered to you by 1 January shouldn’t be shipped to New Zealand before 1 January the following year and you shouldn’t already be on your way to New Zealand before that date either.

A vehicle can still be eligible for concessionary entry even if its owner hasn’t been able to use it on a daily basis, as long as you can satisfy the New Zealand Customs Service that it was available for use at all times.

The important factor in this case is that if actual use was not continuous, it should still cover a period of 12 months

3. Personal Motor Vehicle Temporary Import

When are tourist vehicles eligible for free or paid entry into New Zealand?

Free entry:

Your vehicle may be exempt from Customs charges when you import it into New Zealand if you demonstrate that you intend to leave the country with it at the end of your trip.

To be eligible, you will need a Carnet de Passage en Douane (CPD) issued by AIT/FIA affiliated member clubs (such as the Automobile Association).

To download the CPD, click here.

A CPD is usually granted for up to 12 months although, in exceptional circumstances, Customs may agree to issue a once-only extension. However, it must be requested at least 4 weeks in advance from the relevant authority in your country of origin.

Paid entry:

If you don’t have a CPD (click here to download the form), you will have to pay a temporary import fee (by cash deposit or bond) of the value of the full Customs charges applicable.

This sum will be refunded to you as long as you export your vehicle back within a certain period of time.

A temporary import entry is usually issued for up to 12 months but may be extended further by Customs through a once-only extension, which must be requested before the original expiry date.

To arrange a motor vehicle’s entry,simply fill in this Form, email or phone us on 09 303 0075

4. Will I have to payNew Zealand’s Goods and Services Tax (GST)?

  1. Offshore transactions.
  2. When the vehicle’s sales price already includes a local VAT or sales tax component.
Period of ownership and use overseas Depreciation deduction (%)
Less than 90 days 0
Between 3 and 4 months 13
Between 4 and 6 months 20
Between 6 and 9 months 27.5
Between 9 and 12 months 35
Between 1 year and 2 years 50
Between 2 and 3 years 60
Between 3 and 4 years 70
Over 4 years 75

If you would like to know more about GST charges, email or phone us on 09 303 0075

5. Which criteria does my motor vehicle need to meet to be cleared by MAF?

MAF will be checking your vehicle thoroughly for dirt, leaves, seeds and plant material in general, as well as mud, so you need to give your vehicle a good clean, inside and outside.

They will pay closer attention to commonly known problem areas such as:

  1. Leaves in the engine bay and grills
  2. Plant material and dirt in the boot and the spare tyre well
  3. Mud and dirt underneath the wheel arches.

If you want to find out more about MAF clearing criteria,simply fill in this Form, email or phone us on 09 303 0075

6. Will McCullough really make a difference?

Of course we would say yes! But don’t take our word for it, read the testimonials of our many happy customers!

If you need any more convincing, here are some very good reasons why you should trust us:

“Amazing. McCullough’s completely took charge and got all the paperwork and other requirements arranged and delivered. They rang me with regular updates. My Audi RS 5 Coupe arrived in perfect condition. I don’t believe that any other shipping company could touch McCullough’s level of personal service, standards and results.”

Max F – Mar 2011

Get your free shipping quote now.

Top Tips

For Stress-Free Motor Vehicle

  1. Flat bed trucks
  2. Special ramps to allow the vehicle to be loaded and unloaded without damage.
  1. We can arrange comprehensive policies covering your motor vehicle from collection to delivery at its final destination.
  2. We recommend that you take close-up photos of your vehicle inside and outside as they would be required should you need to make an insurance claim

“Southampton to Auckland – wharf to garage. 35 days. Hundreds of dollars saved from specialised advice on complying with NZ vehicle standards and MAF requirements. Frequent updates with photos, phone calls and personal inspections. Would defiantly recommend McCullough”.

Steve Vann – Mar 2011

Get your free shipping quote now.

Get a free quote today

to find out costs and procedures involved in shipping your car from Australia to New Zealand.